Monday 9 June 2014

Lana Del Rey 'West Coast' Hair, Outfit and Make Up Tutorial!



Lana not only enchants me with her voice but her effortless Cali style and make up after watching and re-watching her music video for her song West Coast which you can see here I decided to do a hair, make up tutorial and outfit inspired by the video. 

First up is the make up!


To begin with prime your face I'm using the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer this will make your foundation apply better and help your make up last longer.





For foundation I'm using the YSL Touche Eclat Foundation as it's a light base for summer blend your foundation in from the centre of your face working outwards in circles I'm using the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush.



For concealer I'm using the Loreal Lumi Magique as it's weightless and smooth on the skin also it's light reflecting which can give you a lovely summer glow. 



Blend this in using the previous brush or a new one if you like remember to leave the under eyes as I always conceal my under eyes after all my eye make up is done to give a brighter look.



Lana has dark brown brows so I'm going to fill my brows in using a dark matte brown eyeshadow called 'Mystery' by MAC.





Lana has thick, long brows so use the image above as a guideline as to what your brow shape should be.





Set your brows using a brow gel I'm using Benefit's Gimme Brow.





I always prime my eyelids so that my eyeshadow will apply better and stay for longer, I'm using the Nars Eyeshadow Primer.



Select a neutral eyeshadow colour to use as a base and neutralise the eyes, I'm using MAC's 'Blanc Type'.



Sweep this all over your lid and on the brow bone with an eyeshadow brush.



Lana has a brown tinted smokey eye in this video so start off with a dark brown the same that you used for the brows would be fine.





Blend this in using a shadow blending brush (I recommend MAC's 217 it's a wonder brush and definitely worth the investment) create a rounded smoked eye, blend the outer shadow out for a gradient effect. Bring the shadow down under your lower lash line the trick for this is to blend thoroughly with a clean blending brush so all the shadow colours seamlessly smoke onto the eyes.



Now build on this with a grey eyeshadow I'm using a colour called 'Darkside' from Urban Decay's Naked 3 palette. Blend this colour onto the crease, going right into the inner crease of the eyes as Lana has big eyes that want to be accented, keep bringing the shadow round and under the bottom lashes. 





Now blend a darker grey/almost black eyeshadow I'm using 'Blackheart' from the Naked 3 palette focus on blending this on the rounded edge and under the lower lashes.








Lana has heavily accented her lower lash line so take a sharp angle brush and using a black eyeshadow line the top lash line and bottom lash line, line the bottom lashes a lot more heavier than the top. Blend this in using a clean blending brush to give a smokey effect on the eyes.



To darken the eyes further I'd recommend using a black eyeliner to line the top waterline I'm using the Estee Lauder Pure Color Kajal Eyeliner as it's sensitive on the eyes and gives a dark kohl black colour payoff.



To make the eyes appear larger use a soft pink or white eyeliner on the bottom lash line this will give you Lana's wide eyes, I'm using Benefit's Eye Bright.



You can see that this helps define the eyes now curl your lashes in preparation for mascara, this will help your lashes hold a curl better.



For mascara I'm using the Kate Moss for Rimmel in 'Jet Black'.



In this look Lana has more focus on the smokey eye than the lashes so give a couple of flicks of mascara to your top and bottom lashes just to darken the eyes but not overpowering the smokey eye.





Now clean under your eyes as there may be some shadow that has fallen under your eyes and apply concealer then blend in I'm using Benefit's Erase Paste as that concealer will hide anything!



Set your make up with a setting powder I'm using MAC's Mineralize Skin Finish Natural as it gives good coverage and a healthy glow which is the make up look that Lana has in this video.






Lana isn't wearing any blusher in this video just bronzer so dust some bronzer on your cheekbones, tip of your chin, both sides of your forehead and down each side of your nose to slim it as Lana has a slim nose.



Lana has a nude lip in this video so I picked my Kate Moss for Rimmel Lipstick in Shade '03' as it makes the lips look more voluptuous. 




  





For the hair I loosely curled my hair using my GHD's but curlers would do then separated it with my fingers, sprayed some Toni and Guy Sea Salt Spray and scrunched it in my hair this will give you Lana's effortless beach waves, add hairspray for a lasting finish.













Leather Jacket - Kate Moss for Topshop
T-shirt - Cheap Monday
Skirt - H&M
Heels - Topshop

Trying to get that casual west coast style can actually mean a lot of effort but all you need to do is add a leather jacket over one of your most loved tees then pair it with denim shorts or mini skirt add heels for night or go barefoot to the beach. Your beach waves and smokey eyes will do all the talking just give your best Lana smouldering look.



I have such a good time creating this look I'd love to see your Lana looks tag me on Instagram @stephgreenwoodx and if there's anyone you'd like me to recreate tweet me @stephgreenwoodx




No comments:

Post a Comment