Sunday 8 June 2014

Ariana Grande 'Problem' Make Up Tutorial



I've been obsessed with Ariana Grande's new song 'Problem' featuring Iggy Azalea and love the Sixties theme in the music video which you can watch here so I decided to do a tutorial as Ariana's make up in this video is gorgeous and who doesn't want to look like Ariana Grande?!

If you don't have the exact products that I'm using in this tutorial don't worry just use something similar although I would recommend having some false lashes (a half set would work best) on hand to really get Ariana's look.


To begin with prime your face I'm using the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer this will make your foundation apply better and help your make up last longer.



For foundation I'm using the YSL Touche Eclat foundation 



Blend this in with a foundation brush in circles from the centre of your face working outwards I'm using the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush.





Now conceal any blemishes and around your nose for concealer I'm using the Loreal Lumi Magique which is a light reflecting concealer and is really silky on the skin use the same brush as before to blend this in. I normally don't conceal my under eyes until I have finished the eye make up as you often get eyeshadow on your under eyes.







Ariana's brows are a soft light brown so I'd use a powder to fill them in with a sharp angled brush I'm using the powder from the Benefit Brow Zings, Ariana has thick brows that thin out towards the end.





Set your brows using a brow gel I'm using Benefit's Gimme Brow.





I always prime my eyes to make my eyeshadow apply better and stay for longer I'm using the Nars Eyeshadow Primer.





Neutralise your eyes with a light eye shadow I'm using MAC's 'Blanc Type' apply this with an eyeshadow brush all over the lids and on the brow bone.





Now select a matte taupe eyeshadow colour and apply this in your crease and corner eyes shape the shadow into a thick cat eye flick I'm using MAC's 'Omega'.





Now darken the crease and the cat eye shape with a darker matte brown eyeshadow I'm using MAC's 'Mystery' blend lots as this will make the shadow darker and give a smoother gradient effect. 







Now to create that perfect cat eye flick I'm using a sample of Benefits They're Real eyeliner  I know that eyeliner can be a beauty arch nemesis but just take your time and apply it somewhere with lots of bright light. I always start at my inner eye remaining close to the lash line then gradually get a thicker line towards the edge then wing it out with my eye open so I can see if it will be the right kind of flick. Eyeliner takes lots of practice but once you've got the hang of it it will come naturally to you so keep practicing!





In the Problem video Ariana has her upper and lower waterline lined with black eyeliner right the way to the tear duct I'm using the Estee Lauder Pure Color Kajal Eyeliner as it's really soft on the waterline and glides on smoothly. This deepens the eyes and makes the cat eye flick more intense and makes the eyes appear brighter and whiter.



For false eyelashes I'm using the Eylure Individual Lashes but for easiness you can just get a full set then cut them in half and use the outer half I'm just using these as they're all I have in. 



I started from the middle of the lashes using a couple small sets then worked my way to medium then large as I got round the lashes they definitely make the difference in this look as Ariana's signature is big lashes giving her that beautiful doe-eyed look. 



You can see the dramatic difference from the left where I have my natural lashes to the right where I have applied the false lashes.



Now apply them onto the other eye.







Now use a black mascara to comb through the lashes this will combine your natural lashes and false lashes and make the lashes stand out more also apply mascara to the bottom lashes too. 





In the 'Problem' video Ariana has black shadow blended on her bottom lash line I'm using 'Oil Slick' from Urban Decay's 'Ammo' palette use a small shadow brush to blend this under the lashes then use a clean shadow brush to blend it out to its shaded.





Now use a make up remover wipe to clean away any excess shadow that may have fallen under your eyes and conceal your under eyes I'm using Benefit's Erase Paste as it's a more heavy duty concealer to hide my dark circles.





To set the make up brush some setting powder on your face and around your eyes I'm using MAC's Mineralize Skin Finish Natural as it gives a good coverage.





Ariana isn't wearing blush in this music video just bronzer so apply bronzer on your cheekbones, in the hollows of your cheeks, on the bottom of the chin and on the sides of the forehead, I'm using Nars Laguna Bronzer.



Ariana is wearing a pink tinted highlighter in 'Problem' so I'm using my MAC 'Forever Marilyn' beauty powder and just apply this to the bridge of the nose, cupids bow, centre forehead and under eyes.



For a typical Ariana Grande smile you'll need a candy coloured pink I'm using Revlon Lip Butter in Cotton Candy this will give you the signature 'Ariana' look.









The Finished Look
I love how Ariana has took some features of the signature Sixties make up look and made it her own with thick brows, bronzer and a pink pout I hope you like this make up look it's perfect for parties, dates or even just if you want to be Ariana Grande for a day! 

Tweet me any more make up looks you'd like to see @stephgreenwoodx and tag me on Instagram if you recreate this look @stephgreenwoodx 


No comments:

Post a Comment